Thursday 10 April 2008

What Makes a Good Teacher

I googled 'what makes a good teacher' and got quite a few hits. Clearly this is something that has been thought about and considered by a lot of people around the world. Teachers are important because they help to shape the next generation of people, and good teachers can have a long term effect that goes well beyond just getting good/bad marks in their subject.

Here are a few examples I've gleaned from my surfing.

good teachers really want to be good teachers
good teachers listen
good teachers take risks
good teachers never have enough time
good teachers love their subject and are able to convey this
good teachers are firm but fair. 
good teachers are fun
good teachers try to understand their students

When I was at school my favourite teachers were the ones who loved their subject and made me love it too. They were the ones with a sense of humour but good classroom management skills. Most importantly, they were the ones that made me feel like I had really achieved something. 

Usually these were the same people. 

This survey asked the most appropriate group - my favourite was the young lad who said the best teachers are the ones that don't turn up!

No comments: